Where research meets educational practice
To encourage dialogue among researchers and practitioners, the EWC organizes a series of events in cooperation with European
universities and teacher training institutions.
Latest research projects
and their key findings related to issues of democratic citizenship,
human rights and intercultural understanding are introduced.
The aim is to encourage the dissemination and use of research findings in educational practice. In an Educators’ Consultation:
An Educators’ Consultation
- Researchers present research findings relevant for educators’ professional practice
- Participants get to discuss relevant research findings with researchers
- Organisers moderate the interaction and facilitate the cooperative development of ideas and initiatives for educational practice
- Can be adapted according to local or national context
- Can be organized as a one or two day seminar, or as a component of a larger event
- Can be a national or international event and can be held in any language
Download the Educators' Consultation Information Leaflet for further details
In 2011/12, the Educators' Consultations focus on the findings of
the IEA International Civic and Citizenship Education Study (ICCS) and
also the CoE Charter on EDC and HRE. The ICCS 2009 International Report: Civic knowledge, attitudes and
engagement among lower secondary students in 38 countries
presents results of analyses designed to investigate students’ knowledge
and understanding of civics and citizenship in a European context and
their perceptions, attitudes, and behaviors with respect to specific
European-related civic and political issues, institutions, and policies.
The ICCS was carried out by the International Association for the
Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA).
The findings of the ICCS study, which was published in autumn 2010,
are highly interesting with regard to basic challenges of EDC in
schools. The findings indicate a gap between pupils' "civic knowledge"
on the one hand and their willingness to engage actively in the
political life of their society (with the exception of taking part in
elections/using their right to vote).
Educators' Consultation 2013
January: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Educators' Consultations 2012:
January: Hamburg, Germany
April: Vienna, Austria
October: Warsaw, Poland