This is a manual for teachers in Education for Democratic Citizenship (EDC) and Human Rights Education (HRE), EDC/HRE textbook editors and curriculum developers. Nine teaching units of approximately four lessons each focus on key concepts of EDC/HRE.
The lesson plans give step-by-step instructions and include student handouts and background information for teachers. In this way, the manual is suited for trainees or beginners in the teaching profession and teachers who are receiving in-service teacher training in EDC/HRE. Experienced teachers may draw on the ideas and materials. The complete manual provides a full school year's curriculum for lower secondary classes, but as each unit is also complete in itself, the manual allows great flexibility in use.
Download the Manual (English)Ukrainian This is Volume III out of a series of 6 manuals. The other parts are:
- EDC / HRE Volume I: Educating for democracy - Background materials on democratic citizenship and human rights education for teachers
- EDC / HRE Volume II: Growing up in democracy - Lesson plans for primary level on democratic citizenship and human rights
- EDC / HRE Volume IV: Taking part in democracy - Lesson plans for upper secondary level on democratic citizenship and human rights
- EDC / HRE Volume V: Exploring children’s rights - Nine short projects for primary level
- EDC / HRE Volume VI: Teaching democracy - A collection of models for democratic citizenship and human rights education
This series of six manuals is meant to help teachers and principals to introduce citizenship and human rights in schools in a fun and interactive way.